Black & Dark
OUR BLACK TEAS..........
These are the teas we drink all day, every day and we have something for everyone, from strong builder teas
where a splash of milk helps develop the strong creamy body to a seasonally available handrolled tea with distinctive and unique floral notes. We are really proud of our black tea range and particularly the stone fruit flavours that some of our Malawian cultivars develop in the spring time. Our founder Maclean Kay was always a strong advocate of quality and we strive to maintain this standard he set.
OUR DARK TEAS..........
A relatively new departure for us. We started developing Dark Teas in 2009 in partnership with a Japanese company. All our teas todate are in the shou or 'cooked' style and are specially focused on developing clean flavours. These teas are always a surprise on our tasting table for tea aficionados who never expect to find this type never mind this quality (!) of tea in our part of the world. Know for their health benefits we plan to expand our range of dark teas in the future.
THYOLO OP1 415
-Uniform wiry leaves and silver tips
- Dark Forest Honey
- Dry wood with hints of gooseberry jam
- Malty with olive notes,
similar tones in
the white muscatel grape
SATEMWA OP1 416
- A coppery shiny glow
-Sweet pine forest
-Soft aromatic taste with exotic
- A blend of our best varietals
- Rare Nyala Antelope horns with orange glow
- Marawi Gold like the first tribe in Malawi
- Orange honey blossom
- "Orangette" a Belgian orange sweet
dipped in dark chocolate
high grown charachter
- A lightly oxidized black tea
Hand rolled with love and craftsmanship
to your prefection!
This is the web designers favourite :)
Thyolo TSFBOP1 413
-A broken grade with rich
twisted humus flakes
-A smooth black tea, strong malty
taste with a spicy sent
& a citrus fruit background
- A minimum of grading & a reddish fibre which adds to the complexity.
Drink this flavoursome tea
SATEMWA TSFBOP1 414
- Neat twisted leaf Ungraded with little oxidized reddish fibres and silver tips
-Red African soil
-Fresh African rain
- Produces a sweet rounded powerful
thick cup with olive notes
- The red fibres could be taken
out but Satemwa loves the extra
dimension it gives to the taste
and the pallet.
Ideal to drink with milk.
THYOLO MOTO 421
- Almost to pretty to drink with long beautiful twists
- A cup with tints of light amber
-This is a lovely smoked black tea that will blow
you away but still sweet as a prune
and feels like you have
a bourbon praline melting in our mouth.
A clear favourite
SATEMWA Breakfast 425
- A neat broken grade with some silver tips
- A cup with tints of maple syrup
- Mouthful feels like velvet with flavours of grape
Its a rich cup but yet smooth and elegant like a
highland whiskey with a hint of vanilla to add
A lovely tea to start your day, during the day, and
why not in the evening as well
- a favourite in the tasting room
Ideal to drink with milk.
THYOLO MOTO Tsfbop1 427
- Lightly smoked broken black tea
- A Dark Amber cup
- A lovely smoked tea for beginners.
This grade can be used in luxury muslin or high
quality tea bags for on the go
SATEMWA DARK 518
- This dark tea is a leaf form
- Dark Mahogony
- Fresh forest & damp moss
-Soft & mild and typically earthy & woody character Liquorice with harmonic & plesantly spicy aftertaste
-Produced following modern scientific methods
and practises but with the African Satemwa touch.
-And GOSH its nice with ginger and lemon....